On 7th January 1451, a Papal Bull from Pope Nicolas IV enabled the foundation of the University of Glasgow. It is the second-oldest university in Scotland after St Andrews and the fourth-oldest in the English-speaking world.
The university had been requested by King James II and championed by Bishop William Turnbull. It became Scotland’s second university, forty years after the founding of St Andrews.
The first students were initially taught in the chapterhouse of Glasgow Cathedral until the university received a grant of land from James, Lord Hamilton, on the east side of the High Street, north of the Blackfriars Church, and where it would be located for the next 400 years.
The university moved to its current location at Gilmorehill, overlooking Kelvingrove Park, in 1870.
Top image: University of Glasgow overlooking Kelvingrove Park | Image credit: Neil Ritchie, editor