Royal Yacht ‘Britannia’ begins her speed trials

On 9th November 1953 the Royal Yacht ‘Britannia’ left the Clydebank shipyards to begin her speed trials.

Built by John Brown’s shipbuilders, she was famously luxurious and entertained countless dignitaries in opulent style. The Britannia carried the royal family on more than 1000 visits to over 600 countries. After being decommissioned in 1997, it was decided to berth the ship at Leith where she is now a major tourist attraction.

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

avatar